XBeach is an open-source software package developed jointly by IHE Delft Institute for Water Education, Delft University of Technology and Deltares. It can compute the hydrodynamics and morphological change on sandy, gravel, coral, vegetated and urbanized coasts under daily and extreme conditions.
On the XBeach course, programme attendees will gain basic theoretical understanding on XBeach capabilities and functionalities. Moreover, attendees will learn how to apply the software for research or consultancy studies to simulate morphodynamics during storm conditions with XBeach-surfbeat.
When utilizing XBeach for modelling, attendees will be able to retrieve theoretical and practical knowledge gained in this course.
Theoretical: attendees understand
- the differences between the three hydrodynamic modes of XBeach: stationary, surfbeat and non-hydrostatic;
- the background of the surfbeat mode and main (other) hydro- and morphodynamic formulations needed to simulate dune erosion and overwash;
- the possibilities of more advanced applications (e.g. coral reefs, gravel & vegetated coasts, port hydrodynamics and ships waves).
Practical: attendees will know
- what the input and output of XBeach looks like and how this can be used to answer practical questions in research / consultancy;
- how to create an XBeach-surfbeat model from scratch to simulate nearshore hydro- and morphodynamics during storm conditions.
Who should participate
This course is aimed at project engineers, researchers, PhD students with a basic background in programming (e.g. Matlab / Python / Fortran) and modelling.
Online course dates
- Session 1: Wednesday, 2 December 2020, 15:00 – 18:00 CET (Delft time)
- Session 2: Thursday, 3 December 2020, 15:00 – 18:00 CET
The registration fee for this course is € 565, – excluding VAT.
50% discount for lecturers at centers of education.
More information on XBeach
Other courses that may be of interest to you:
Please sign in (top right corner) using your MyDeltares account.
If you already have either a DSD or OSS account and no MyDeltares account yet, then click on the link Forgot Password? to setup your MyDeltares account including a new password. Once you have completed the password reset you can login.
After the MyDeltares registration or signing in, it will be possible for you to register for individual 2020 events, get a personal overview (My schedule), make changes in your schedule, profile etc.
You will receive an email confirmation from Microsoft Teams (MS Teams) with further instructions.
If you come across any problems with the registration, please contact our team at email@example.com.
START OF THE SESSION
Please check in early to test your audio and video. We will open the session at 14:50 (CET, Delft time), 10 minutes before the start of the session.